Soul Buddyz Television Series - Tomorrow is ours
Soul Buddyz is a multi media "edutainment" vehicle for children aged 8-12 years old designed to promote their health and well-being. Told through Television, Radio and print learner material, it closely reflects the lives, struggles and joys of 8 -12 year olds in our changing society.
Because attitudes are often formed during this critical time, the programme was developed specifically with this age group in mind. In the context of a rapidly transforming society with technological and social changes, the needs and aspirations of disadvantaged children between the ages of 8-12 years old are often neglected. Emotional and health problems often originate or become embedded in this age group, with social problems such as physical and sexual abuse severely retarding the potential of many children.
The Rights of the Child
Soul Buddyz embraces the principles of the International Convention on the Rights of the Child, which the South Africa Government has ratified and signed. All the issues dealt with in the series are framed within the South African Constitution.
According to the Convention:
"The child has the right to the highest standard of health and medical care attainable. States shall place special emphasis on the provision of primary and preventive health care, public health education and the reduction of infant mortality."
Utilising multiple media platforms including television, radio, lifeskills and parenting publications as well as soul buddyz clubs, a number of social issues are highlighted to showcase:
- children's rights and responsibilities
- valuing and respecting other children
- advocating respect and sensitivity for culture
- creating a sense of history
- role modelling good behaviour towards older people
- promoting alternate values to the dominant individualist, consumerist set of values
- encouraging exploration and interaction with the environment
- encouraging a positive view of science and technology
- viewing children as proactive, valuable and productive members of the community
Soul Buddyz Television & Radio Series Themes
All messages focus on changing behaviours, attitudes or increasing awareness, knowledge, as well as shifting social norms around the following topics:
|Soul Buddyz Series||Year||Key theme|
|Series 3 and 3B||2005||