Capacity Strengthening and Training
This Soul City unit develops training material and training courses that empower individuals and communities to take effective action to protect and promote their health in relation to HIV and AIDS, alcohol and other social and health related issues.
These materials expand and sustain the impact of Soul City’s mass media work through high quality training and materials creating a deeper impact at community level. Our materials are distributed to hard to reach audiences in South Africa and the region. The materials are based on stories and are full colour with many pictures and illustrations to engage the trainees and link the materials to the Soul City series.
The Institute works with a number of NGO partner organisations and government structures at district levels that are based in the nine provinces in South Africa and trains master trainers from these organisations on how to use the Soul City materials to train in their own communities.
Who gets trained by the partners?
- Community Based Organisations
- Faith Based Organisations
- Non Governmental Organisations
- Labour Unions
- Other community structures
Types of training courses offered
- Level 1 HIV/AIDS course (Health and Welfare SETA accredited)
Accredited - Unit Standard Title: Apply accurate information about HIV and AIDS to everyday life and HIV and AIDS basic information
- Level 2 HIV/AIDS course (Health and Welfare SETA accredited)
Course for community educators
- Course for our master trainers
Course meant for trainers that will train other trainers
- Domestic violence course
To educate service providers such as health workers and court clerks about domestic violence
- Mother and child health
To educate community members about a range of mother and child health issues - discussion posters, comic books and workbooks are available on : Oral rehydration (diarrhoea), accidents, child abuse, immunisation, antenatal care
- Community mobilisation course
The Soul City HIV and AIDS materials pack consists of:
- 2 Comics, George’s Story and Simanga’s Choice available in five languages
- A set of eight HIV and AIDS posters, designed to be used in facilitated education sessions
- 4 Handbooks
- AIDS in our community
- Living positively with HIV and AIDS
- Anti-Retroviral Treatment for Life
- Know Your Body - Your Reproductive Health book.
- 4 User friendly Workbooks
- Living positively with HIV and AIDS
- Women, Children and HIV and AIDS
- You and your Anti –Retroviral treatment
- Counselling skills for non counsellors
- A multi-lingual video with English subtitles – The story of Lizzie and George. This is based on the story and characters from the second and third TV series of Soul City. The story follows what happens to Lizzie and George when they find out they are HIV positive
- A comprehensive user guide supports facilitators using the different materials.
- Soul Buddyz Materials: Tomorrow is ours.
- Mother And Child Health Materials
- These materials are aimed at people learning together in adult education and training groups, in formal and informal community groups, and in business and industry.
- The HIV and AIDS Action Pack (education and training materials)
- These HIV and AIDS materials are aimed at a broad range of different learners and trainers who are involved in education or training around HIV and AIDS and all the issues that are related to it.
- The Soul City partner training organisations
- Soul City developed a set of comprehensive HIV and AIDS learning materials which are aimed at adult learners working together in a group training situation.
- The Violence Against Women Training Materials
- This package of materials is intended to be used specifically as training material.
- Water And Sanitation Materials
- The Soul City Water and Sanitation manual is called “Breaking the Rules: New Approaches to Water and Sanitation and Health in South Africa”.